Poetry in any form, more than 21 lines and up to four pages.First Place $200 • Second Place $100 • Third Place $50
OFFICIAL WRITING CONTEST RULES
Entries not following these guidelines will be rejected. Please follow these rules carefully.
- This contest is blindly judged. The author’s name MUST NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- Indicate entry category and word count in upper right hand corner of first page.
- All manuscripts must be titled, typewritten in standard 12-point font, and double-spaced. (Poetry may be single-spaced.)
Online submissions will be accepted Jan. 1-Mar. 15, 2018. Late entries will be accepted between Mar. 16 and Mar. 31. See Late Entries below for more information.
Entry fees are $10 per entry.
Late Entries: If submitted online or mailed between Mar. 16 and Mar. 31, 2018, add $2.00 late fee per manuscript for the Annual Writing Contest or $1 per entry for the New Mountain Voices Student Contest. Submissions will not be accepted after the late entry deadline.
Please note that all fees paid to the contest are non-refundable.
JUDGING: Judges will not critique manuscripts. Entrants may not contact judges during or after the contest. Any attempt to do
so by an entrant will result in automatic disqualification without refund of fees. Decisions of the judges are final.
WINNERS: Winners will be announced at WVW Contest Awards Banquet, June 9, 2018 at Cedar Lakes, Ripley, WV. The list of
winners will be posted online following the event.
- Contest is open to WV residents and current members of WVW, Inc.
- Current membership is required if submitter is not a resident of West
Virginia: Adult $20.00; College $10.00; Student (under age 18) $5.00.
- Entries must be original work of the entrant and must comply with category descriptions, limitations and procedures.
- Adaptation of the work of another writer is not eligible.
- Works that have won a cash prize in any past WVW competition are not eligible.
- Published works or those accepted for publication prior to January 1, 2018, are not eligible.
- A work will be considered published if it has been printed in a publication with a distribution of 1000 or more; if it has been published on a webpage that has received or could receive 1,000 or more viewers annually; or if it has been independently published via a print-on-demand or eBook service. If less than 25 percent of the entry has been published, it will be considered unpublished.
- This contest has no eligibility age limit.