New Mountain Voices Student Writing Contest:
High School (GRADES 9-12)
1ST PLACE - $ 100.00 • 2ND PLACE - $ 50.00 • 3RD PLACE - $ 25.00
Respond to one of the following prompts.
- “My Favorite Place”: Describe your favorite place. Why
is it your favorite place? When
were you there and/or when will
you go back?
- “Rhyme Me Nots”: Write a poem that does not rhyme
or that rhymes in
unexpected ways, or write a short
story with lines that rhyme.
- “Snowball”: Tell a “snowball” story!
Maybe it is about a day off school,
a snowball battle, a winter dance, or
something else entirely.
- “Millennial”: What would your life be like if you
were born one thousand years in the
past or one thousand years in the
- “Change the World”: Our world or a fictional world has
a big problem that needs fixing.
Take a serious or humorous look at
the problem-solving plan.
- “Mystery and Magic”: Get to the bottom of a mysterious
happening, enter a magical realm,
or combine the two!
- Your Own Original Idea: Write your own original story or poem.
• Each student may submit up to 3 entries. Each entry must be submitted separately.
• This contest is blindly judged. The author’s name MUST
NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript.
• Indicate entry category and word count in upper right hand
corner of first page. Each entry is limited to 2000 words.
• All manuscripts must be titled, typewritten in standard 12-
point font, and double-spaced. (Poetry may be single-spaced.)
ENTRY FEE: This contest has no entry fee. Late fees of $1 per entry, however, may apply after Mar. 16, 2018.
DEADLINE: Online submissions will be accepted Jan. 1-Mar. 31, 2018.
- Entrant be a West Virginia resident.
- Entrant must be in grades 1 - 5 for the Elementary
Competition, grades 6 - 8 for the Middle School Competition, or grades 9 -
12 for the High School Competition.
- All entries must be the sole and original work of the entrant. (Note: A parent or teacher may type the entry.)
- Works that have won a
cash prize in any past WVW Competitions are not eligible.
works or those accepted for publication prior to Jan. 1, 2018, are not
- A work will be considered published if it has been printed in a
publication with a distribution of 1,000 or more, or if it has been published
on a webpage that has received or could receive 1000 or more viewers
annually. However, if less than 25 percent of the entry has been published,
it will be considered unpublished.
JUDGING: Judges will not critique manuscripts. Entrants, parents, or teachers may not contact judges during or after the contest. Any attempt to do so will result in automatic disqualification without refund of fees. Decisions of the judges are final.
WINNERS: There will be one set of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners for
each age group. The winners will be chosen from the best of all categories
in each age group, as determined by the contest judge(s). Winners will be
announced at the WV Writers Annual Conference Awards Banquet, June 9,
2018, at Cedar Lakes in Ripley, WV, and a full list of winners will be
posted online following the event.
If you would like to join us at the Banquet and/or for the Conference, please keep an eye on http://wvwriters.org/home/annual-writing-conference/